I wanted to make my son a Minecraft wall hanging for him to hang on his door. These are instructions on how to make one. This is the image I decided to use. Minecraft is a licensed game, so this project is for personal use only.
I went to my local fabric store (most Walmart store also carry fabric) and got one yard of Canvas Material. Out of the yard, I was able to cut four wall panels that are about a foot and a half wide and double that in length. If you only want to make one wall hanging, you don’t need a full yard.
1. The first step is to transfer your image onto the canvas. If you have a projector, that will be the easiest. You can also transfer using the grid method. Once you have transferred your image using a pencil or pen, go over the lines with a permanent marker.
2. After you have your lines redrawn, paint white acrylic or Gesso on the areas that you will be painting. This is an important step because it will ensure that the color you apply will stand out (since the canvas is very absorbent). An easier way to do this would be to paint your canvas material with white paint or Gesso, first and then transfer the image. I like to paint mine after I draw the image because I like to be sure of the placement.
3. Once you have the background painted white, you are ready for you first layer of color. I started with the black background. For the Creepers eyes and mouth, I mixed a little green with the black, so the Creeper will stand out in it’s own way.
4. Add the green and yellow highlights.
5. Mix up two colors of gray, one light and one dark. Following the photo reference, fill in the gray shadow areas.
6. To finish up your painting, Repaint the background with another coat of white and add white highlights to some of the edges. It is important to add the highlights to get a 3-D effect because that’s what tricks the eye into seeing 3-D, the light against dark contrast. 7. Spray your painting with a finishing spray, which may vary depending on the paint medium you chose to use. 8. Hang proudly! 🙂